Seeing the difference
If you listen to these commands of the Lord your God and carefully obey them, the Lord will make you the head and not the tail, and you will always have the upper hand. You must not turn away from any of the commands I am giving you today not to follow after other gods and worship them.
In darkness there is no choice. It is light that enables us to see the differences between things; and it is Christ who gives us light.
The head and not the tail
When reading Deuteronomy 28, it is pleasant to focus on the blessings in Moses‘ message, yet we cannot avoid the fact that there were two sides to this oracle. Blessings would rain on the children of Israel as a result of their obedience, but harsh consequences awaited those who served other gods.…When the children of Israel turned from God, they would return to him only when they realized that they had placed themselves under the yoke of a far less benevolent master. Therein lies the curse — willingly abandoning a loving God to follow one whose intent is not to bless but to destroy. God still longs to bless us, but there is another who prowls about seeking to destroy those who are precious to God. Choose today to serve the God who longs to make you the head and the not the tail.
Content is derived from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation and other publications of Tyndale Publishing House
- Understanding God’s Word (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Secure on Mount Zion (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Israel’s Future (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Waiting for our prayers (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Trust in the Lord May 01 2013 (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Guard Your Heart (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- God Calms Our Fears (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Let Your Light Shine and Be a Lighthouse (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Understanding God’s Word April 11, 2013 (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)