God blesses humble people
God as house-builder
“Unless the Lord builds a house, the work of the builders is useless. Unless the Lord protects a city, guarding it with sentries will do no good.”
Unless the Lord builds the house
Benjamin Franklin is best known for his inventions (lightning rod) and his aphorisms (“early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise”). But he was also a key figure when the thirteen colonies were giving birth to a new nation.
At the age of 81, Franklin was the oldest representative at the 1787 Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia. Weeks after the convention began, representatives were still haggling about the relative voting power of large states and small states. Then Franklin stood up and said,
The verse from Psalm 127 had its effect. A compromise was soon worked out, and a Constitution ratified by the states the following year.
Adapted from The One Year® Book of Psalms with devotionals by William J. Petersen and Randy Petersen (Tyndale) entry for October 27
Content is derived from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation and other publications of Tyndale Publishing House
- Spiritual Growth (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Humility (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Intimacy with God (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- forgiveness and restoration (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- God Conquers All (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- A sincere heart (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)
- Joy of the Lord (dailymannablog.wordpress.com)